Quick Links to:
HISTORICAL & PRESERVATION
Ladies Tea Guild: A national organization dedicated to providing an
oasis for women who have a passion for the past and/or a love of tea
in all its dimensions. For more information, or to join our very own
Southbay Chapter please contact Elizabeth Eurbach at
Tell her you saw this on Miranda's House website~
- A list of local
Tea Houses/Tea Stores
Local Bay Area CA, Southbay
- Chic Chateau - 96 S 3rd St San Jose (408) 280-7323
- Fairmont Hotel - 170 S Market St San Jose(408) 998-1900 reservations required
- Lisa's Tea Treasures
~ Pruneyard - 1875 S. Bascom Avenue, Suite 165, Campbell (408)
~ Meno Park - 1175 Merrill Street Menlo Park (650) 322-5544
~ Santana Row - 377 Santana Row #1145, San Jose (408) 247-3613
- Tea & Art - Castro Street Mt. View (*try their Drunken Princess,
Their High Peak Wild Oolong (Alishan))
- Mountain View Tea Village - 275 Castro Street, Mountain View (650)
- Verde Tea & Espresso Bar- 852 Villa Street, Mountain View (650) 210-9986
- Tea Era - 271 Castro Street, Mountain View (650) 969-2899 Also serves
- Neotte Tea Bar - 429 Univerisity Avenue Palo Alto (650) 330-1738
Fine Chinese Teas, very upscale
- The English Rose Tea Room - 163 W Neal Street, Pleasanton (925) 462-6233
Tue–Sat: 11:00am to 5:00pm. Traditional Brittish Tea (in pastels)
- Far Leaves, 2979 College Avenue, Berkeley (510) 655-2979 (*try their Dong Ding, 2 kinds of Lishan High Mountain)
- Teance - 950 Gilman Street, Suitte 800, Berkeley (510) 524-1696x2 Beautiful zen-like tea room.
(*try their Charcoal-Fired Oolong, their Phoenix
Single Grove, their Wenshan Baoshong)
- A' Cuppa Tea - 3202 College Ave. Berkeley (510) 420-0196
- Far Leaves Tea Shop - 59th Street, Emeryville (510) 601-5928
- Imperial Tea Court - 1411 Powell San Francisco Beautiful Chinese Tea house with Gungfu style service. Finches hang in bamboo cages and the atmosphere is lovely.
(*try their Wenshan Baojong, their Dong Ding)
- Ten Ren - 949 Grant Avenue San Francisco
(*try their Charcoal Fired Tung Ting, their Spring Tea)
- Samovar Tea Lounge - 498 Sanchez Street (415) 626-4700 or at 730 Howard Street, San Francisco - (415) 227-9400 Been hearing great things about this place, will get there soon. (*try their Monkey Picked Iron Goddess)
- Vital Leaf - 1044 Grant Street, San Francisco Great selection of green teas, free tea tastings, one of my favorite shops!
- Garden Court in the Sheraton Palace Hotel - 2 New Montgomery (at Market Street) San Francisco (415) 546-5001 (reservations suggested). This is the most elegant place for tea, true Victorian splendour!
- Modern Tea - 602 Hayes Street, San Francisco (415) 626-5406 Hayes Valley tea house featuring fair trade organic tea, a homespun menu of soups, salads, hot dishes, and cast iron cooking, desserts, and gifts.
- Samovar Tea Lounge - 730 Howard Street, San Francisco (415) 227-9400 Offers tea culture from around the world. Shop for tea and accessories or stop by for a meal.
- Secret Garden Tea House - 721 Lincoln Way, San Francisco (415) 566-8834 reservations required. Beautiful!
- Lovejoy's Tea Room - 1351 Church Street, San Francisco (415) 648.5895 Cozy, quirky place filled with mismatched china and furniture. Tea service, parties, and take-away. Reservations required
- Tal-y-Tara Tea & Polo Shoppe - 6439 California Street (cross-street 27th Ave) San Francisco 415-751-9275 Unique marriage between tea and equestrian cultures. Available for afternoon tea, parties, and outdoor dining.
- Leland Tea Company - 1416 Bush Street (@Polk) San Francisco (415) 346.4832 Organic loose leaf teas, tea service, baked goods, Vintage music and gourmet tea sandwiches
- Bread & Honey Tearoom (in the King George Hotel lobby) 334 Mason Street, San Francisco (415) 283-4TEA For a true Brittish experience
- Fairmont Hotel 950 Mason (between California and Sacramento), San Francisco (415) 772-5281 Reservations required
- Lobby Lounge at the Ritz-Carlton - 600 Stockton, San Francisco (415) 773-6198
(right in/near Chinatown) Reservations required
- Chai of Larkspur (SF) 894 Steiner Street, San Francisco (415) 673-7109
- Tranquilitea - 1630 Francisco Boulevard, Pacifica (650) 355-8327 Reservations recommended
- Chai of Larkspur - 25 Ward Street, Larkspur (415) 945-7161
Tea Companies - Online
The world of Green Tea
Misc. Tea links
Bazaar: A useful and thoughtful article on the art & act
of using calling cards.
The Proper Victorian House
- Corsets & ANY type of Victorian costuming custom
made for you: I cannot recommend anyone better - Victoria
Ridenour 1-(650) 962-0882 (her webite is under construction).
- Long Island Staylace
Association: Advocates of Corsetry
(and extensive links)
SteamPunk (our latest passion!)
- Bocce at Backesto Park:
- Bocce Court Hours: dawn to dusk daily.
Backesto Park is located at Jackson & Empire
Street at N 13th - 15th Street.
Contact: Mary Collins (408) 971-3042
Balls are available for check-out at Bronco's Restaurant
- corner of 13th and Empire. ID and deposit required.
- Rules & How
to play Bocce
- ibocce.com: good all around info
Other restorationists stories
Tips & How to
- This Old House: How to's, products & suppliers,
features, and bookstore. Great place to educate yourself
before you call the contractor for a quote.
- Old house
Journal: THE place to find information on
old homes, resources, how-to's ,ect.
Preservation Association: a wonderful list-
from Artists to Wallpaper. Great contractor & business
recommendations as well. Highly recommended!
- How to care for wood floors
- How to care for Marble, Stone surfaces: HGTV marble
Furnishings & Accessories
Lighting: 2550 NW Nicolai Street Portland,
OR 97210 888-401-1900
- Steve Handelman Studios 716 N Milpas St, Santa Barbara,
CA 93103 805-962-5119
- Luminaria: original fixtures restored that are marvelous
to look at
- White Brothers Mill 4801 Tidewater, Oakland, CA 94601 1(800)322-2767
www.whitebrothersmill.com They supply millwork, mouldings, flooring,
paneling, and lumber. They've been in business since 1872.
- Agrelle & Thorpe LTD "Brilliant work, and they turned
it around in a week". www.agrellandthorpe.com
- SF Victoriana 3070 Newcomb San Francisco, CA 94124
(415) 648-0313 Interior & exterior millwork.
- Beronio Lumber: if it's wood, they've got it. Molding,
sills, casting, cornices. 2525 Marin St San Francisco,CA
- Gibson Wood Products will restore or create an exact replica.
643 Burnell St Napa, CA 94559-3420 255-6211
- Abatron wood epox and
liquid filler is the best way to save rather than replace. Liquid
wood consolidant. Reinforces, rebuilds, water- and insect-proofs
wood by hardening after penetrating. Regenerates rotted windowsills,
frames, structural and decorative parts, furniture, boats, columns, floors.
Primer for WoodEpox.
Structural adhesive putty and wood replacement
compound. Most versatile, high-strength no-shrink adhesive paste to fill,
repair and replace wood and other materials in structures, walls,
floors, furniture, sculptures. A new standard in workshops, plants, buildings,
museums, shipyards and homes. Unaffected by water and insects.
a piece of deteriorated wood that would crumble under finger pressure
can be impregnated and restored to rigidity, durability, water, insect
and weather resistance superior to that of the original wood. Best of
all you can sand, drill, carve, paint it.
Rummaging Through Northern
California: The guide to salvage, thrift, consignment,
and other places to get deals.
Bay Area Salvage Guide
- Artefact Design & Salvage - 245 McEvoy St., San
Jose, CA 95126. (408) 279-8766. Columns, iron gates, building
ornaments, funhouse mirrors, statuary, fountains, lighting, ruins & fragments,
doors, windows, mantels, garden ornament, www.artefactdesignsalvage.com
- Berkeley Architectural Salvage - 1167 65th St., Oakland,
CA 94608; (510) 655-2270. Doors, windows, hardware, moldings,
columns, gingerbread, corbels, lighting, plumbing, marble, granite.
- Beyond Waste - 605 W. Sierra, Cotati; (707) 792-2555.
Manufactures and sells flooring made from old-growth Douglas
fir rafters; custom makes flooring or paneling; carries entire
sets of home windows in casement, including Victorian double-hung
- Building Resources - 701 Amador Street (near 3rd St)
San Francisco; (415) 285-7814. Lumber, plywood, marble, bricks,
tiles, glass, mirrors, lighting fixtures, plumbing supplies.
- C&K Salvage - 718 Douglas Avenue (near Edes Avenue),
Oakland; (510) 569-2070. Lumber, large timber, siding, flooring,
bricks, doors, plumbing. M-F 8-5
- Caldwell Building Wreckers - 195 Bayshore Boulevard
(near Oakdale Avenue), San Francisco; (415) 550-6777. Lumber,
flooring, wood trim, bricks, marble, plumbing; specializes in
factory seconds and overruns of new doors and windows. www.caldwell-bldg-salvage.com
- Crossroads Recycled Lumber -PO Box 928, North Fork,
CA 93643. (559) 877-3645. Specializes in resawn timbers and remanufactured
flooring. Recycled lumber from buildings, bridges, and railroad
- East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse - 6713 San Pablo
Ave., Berkeley; (510) 547-6470.
- Depot Annex, 6610 San Pablo Ave., Oakland; (510) 923-1531.
Nonprofit agency that collects materials and redistributes them
to community at low cost. Specializing in art materials, books,
small furniture, frames and garden artifacts. www.eastbaydepot.org
- Ohmega Salvage - 2407 San Pablo Avenue (between Dwight
Way and Channing Way) Berkeley; (510) 843-7368. www.ohmegasalvage.com.
Doors, windows, stained glass, pedestal sinks, claw-foot tubs,
lighting fixtures, mantels, wrought iron, marble, Victorian hardware,
- Omega Too - 2204 San Pablo Avenue (near Allston Way),
Berkeley; (510) 843-3636, www.omegatoo.com. Antique and reproduction
lighting, plumbing, doors, windows, garden ornaments.
- Recycle Town - 500 Mecham Road (near Stony Point Road),
Petaluma; (707) 795-3660
- The Reuse People - 2615 Davis St., San Leandro, CA
94577. (510) 567-8525. Cabinets, doors, fixtures, lumber, plywood,
sinks & tubs,
windows, bricks, ceramic tile, flooring, garden art & more. M-F 9-5,
- Savvy Salvage - 4385 Piedmont Ave., Oakland; (510)
655-8877. Lots of garden ornaments and architectural elements.
W-Sat 11-5. www.savvysalvage.com
- The Salvage Yard - 697 5th Street, Oakland 94607, (510)
625-9227. Specializing in industrial salvage including lockers,
benches, cabinets, shelving, industrial sinks plus some claw
foot tubs and sinks.
Sun 12-5, T-Sat 10-5, Closed Mondays.
- The Sink Factory - 2140 San Pablo Avenue (near Bancroft
Way), Berkeley; (510) 540-8193. Specializing in new and used
basins. The full-service company will repair, rebuild, rechrome or customize
a new or salvaged sink. www..sinkfactory.com
- This & That - 1701 Rumrill Blvd., San Pablo; (510)
232-1273. App. 40,000 square feet of recycled materials, including bi-fold
and louver doors, wrought iron, fireplaces, door moldings, windows,
sinks, granite, marble, and brick building materials.
- Urban Ore - 1333 Sixth Street (near Gilman Street),
Berkeley; (510) 559-4455 and 7th &Ashby, Berkeley (510) 559-4460.
Doors, windows, lumber, marble, bricks, tiles, glass, mirrors, molding,
lighting fixtures and hardware. Also a general store with secondhand household
- Whole House Building Supply - 1955 Pulgas Rd., East
Palo Alto, CA 94303. (650) 328-8731. Doors, cabinets, windows,
bricks, roof tiles, gates, heaters, lighting, plumbing fixtrs, solar & pool
equip, marble, fireplace mantles, hardware. www.driftwoodsalvage.com
People that can help you
- Contact these folks who can help you research the "pedigree" of your
house. They were instrumental in the research of our home, and prepared
all the paperwork needed to apply for Landmark status. They are awesome,
and we highly recommend them!
Archives & Architecture - Heritage Resource Partners
PO Box 1332
San Jose, CA 95109-1332
- Rebekah Owen: The best real estate agent we've
ever worked with. Tell her we referred you. Rebekah@Benchmarkpropeties.com
- Mountain Coast Mortgage: Bruce L McCoy is the guy
whose responsible for
working the magic it took to get the house approved. Our
house did not fit into
any of the regular categories and therefore was out of
normal bank parameters. Bruce knows the in's-and-out's of dealing
with special cases. He ROCKS! Please
let him know you found him here: Mountain Coast Mortgage
in Scotts Valley
(831) 438-7130 email: bruce@ mountaincoast.com
- Elizabeth Pidgeon: An architect that specializes in Victorians and
has many years
of experience dealing with historical and heritage issues.
PO Box 2112, Vallejo CA 94592 707-562-2113
- Sacred Places: More than just landscape design, Jeff took the time
to interview us on our
favorite scents, colors, needs, and dreams. The plans for
the front garden are spectacular!
We can't wait until the garden goes in. His company give
superior service and is a dream
to work with. Contact Jeff at 408 280-5675 Email: Jeff@sacredplaces.com
Top of Page